Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The same thing we do every night —ElGuapo

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."

Am I the only one who always thinks of The Brain when I visit the PostMo board? I don't know why the rest of you come here, but for me it really is this simple. I want to bring down this church. I want to take away the power it has over my life and my closest relationships.

I want to empower others with the courage and the words to articulate what's wrong with Mormonism. I want my kids to grow up in a healthy environment, where people behave rationally and critical thinking is encouraged. I want to take away the veneer of sacredness and the automatic respect that is afforded religious ideas, no matter how nutty or dysfunctional.

I want my family back and my friends back. I want them to see people in living color, to pick their own path in life, to spend their time as they choose. To drop all the judgmental crap, the hypersensitivity to swearing, coffee, "immoral" media, and on and on. To save their tithing money, their temple nights, and the other half of their weekends.

I want this church out of my life ... so here I am, night after night. How about you?

No comments: