Friday, June 13, 2008

LDS / Mormon : How much and what type of evidence would it take...? —Truth_Seeker

Would it take to convince you to research your own religion and consider it is a lie? I've seen how easily you can discount scientific and historical evidence and you can discount lack of archaeological, anthropological and biological evidence. Would testimony for someone in the Quorum of the 12 apostles that professed the lies he has told and experienced or current documents within the church that showed proof of lies and deceit in the church. Or what evidences would help convince you that you might believe incorrectly?
I'm sure you recognize this, Truth_Seeker, but I'll just point out that for most believers it's not about academic study and objectively weighing both sides. Once someone buys into the proposition in Moroni 10:4 that feeling = truth, it's a foregone conclusion they will "gain a testimony." Convictions that came through emotional and social and spiritual means are easily protected by the human psyche from "cognitive dissonance."

That may sound like I'm saying Mormons are deliberately obtuse when it comes to subjects that are challenging to their faith. I don't think that's so, I just think it's worth pointing out that as humans we seem to have a blind spot when it comes to ideas we cherish or feel we need. Of course Mormonism may actually be objectively true, in which case any similarities to other closed belief systems would be purely coincidental.

The Sub:
It hurts my head to even imagine how that makes sense to you. How does that stance possibly equate to "integrity" in your mind? John Maynard Keynes said, "When the facts change, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?" I hope you'll ponder that one, sister. After all it didn't take Christ's Second Coming to make you believe in the first place, right?

No comments: