Monday, April 14, 2008

I need help with my NEW open letter to Monson —Tal Bachman

I recently posted on here an open letter to Monson, but it was long, and seemed to require substantial revision. So I keep trying to re-write it, but all I can get is like two sentences. Here they are:

***

Dear Mr. Monson
.
In your recent LDS General Conference address, you issued an invitation to those, like me, who have left the Mormon church to "come back". My question is: why, when the Mormon church isn't what it claims?
.
Talmage Bachman
.
Former member of the CJCLDS
.
***
.
Everything I write after this just seems lame. I don't know what else to say. Any suggestions? Is this too short?
Tal, you inspired me to take a crack at it:

Response to conference invitation

Dear Mr. Monson:

I am writing in response to your invitation in general conference to come back to the LDS faith. “Change for the better can come to all,” you said. I wish that you could know how that sounds to me. When I think of returning to the LDS faith it sounds nice in many ways. My family would be healed from the hurt my disaffection has caused. My neighbors and family would trust me again, and not see me as an outsider or a danger to their testimonies.

But espousing Mormonism isn’t just a matter of preference. It requires accepting truth claims; believing in Joseph Smith’s mission as translator, revelator, and prophet. And it requires believing in a God who would require that kind of faith in the face of contradictory evidence. I have tried to make that work, wanted it all to be true, and found that I couldn’t make it so.

Life outside the circle of faith can be difficult. It takes fortitude, and there are no easy answers. But just as my ancestors took difficult steps for the cause they believed was just, so must I. Going back would be nice, but leaving was a change for the better for all my generations to come.

No comments: