Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Mormon girl I like says there's no chance for a relationship. How can I convince her otherwise? —labourerdavis

I started dating a beautiful Mormon girl a few months ago and I'm completely mad about her. She says she likes me too, but she's confused because she's absolutely convinced that there could be no "longevity" in a relationship between us. I know this is because I am not a Mormon and any relationship would not be eternal unless I converted to the Church. I have lost patience a couple of times and slandered her religious beliefs because they seem to be keeping us apart. I know that people's religious convictions are usually a major part of their lives and I know I was wrong for talking badly about hers. Now she's completely ignoring me, but I'm going to give in and go to her Church to see her. Is there any hope for convincing her that beliefs about the afterlife are just theories and should not be able to keep lovers apart? Or, if I truly love her, should I be willing to convert? I'm confused too, and sad.
Sorry, man, there's no way around this one. You just have to walk away. It's her loss too, and neither of you are at fault. It just is what it is. If you're still single a year from now call and ask her if she's still Mormon. Rinse. Repeat.

No comments: