Thursday, August 6, 2009

To teach and preach and work


How do I tell my parents I don't want to go on an LDS mission.? —Red Shift
This is very hard for me. Both my parents are Mormon and expect me to go on a mission. For years I've been seen as the golden boy of my church and of my family and everyone expects me to go and set an example to those younger than me. My grandparents on both sides are absolutely staunch LDS members and also have these same expectations for me. However, I simply do not believe in my church enough that I could go about for two years trying to convince other people to join it. How do I tell my parents that I do not want to go? I think my mother will be more understanding than my father. If anyone who answers here went on a mission, LDS or otherwise, please tell me if I am missing anything.

A couple of thoughts here, and for background I was raised Mormon and served a mission in Korea, but am no longer LDS. The fact is, there's very little I like or admire about Mormonism now. I think it sucks for families like yours (and mine) where not everyone wants to participate, but the church causes believers to feel hurt when loved ones don't conform.

But, having said that, I have never regretted the time I spent as a missionary. Now granted, I was a total believer at that point, so it didn't cause me any grief to share what I "knew," and the Koreans never really took to Mormonism anyway. And while I was there I did a lot of growing up, made some lifelong friends, learned a language and culture and learned to survive on my own in a relatively safe and controlled environment. Kids can do a lot worse in their first years out of high school.

So I guess my point is you can still choose to go and make the best of it if you see no way out or don't want to make waves. You'll have some good experiences, and you'll be a lot better off mentally than most of the other "elders" who buy into the guilt and power trips that mission leaders lay on. Maybe submit your papers and see where you get called. If it's Bolivia or Cuba or some other dangerous third world country, say no! You can always back out and reapply later.

If, however, you feel you're ready to assert yourself and step off the Mormon assembly line, I think you can best do this by simply delaying. Tell the bishop you're not ready spiritually or whatever. Tell your parents the same thing. And your aunts. And anyone else who asks. Decline to speak about it further. Mormon culture does not teach people to respect personal boundaries, so you might have to get used to just saying no or walking away. You don't owe anyone an explanation. Best of luck to you.

Guap

1 comment:

ElGuapo said...

This is too funny, so I'm preserving it here for posterity. A google search just turned up a facsimile of this blog entry, apparently translated to Japanese and then back to English. Here's their version:

Digital Plates: To familiarize and sermonize and work

How do I censure my parents I don't after to back off in default on an LDS commission.? -Red Shift by means of This is fit dynamically as regards me. Both my parents are Mormon and up ahead to me to back off in default on a commission. For years I've been seen as the thriving mote shaver of my church and of my inception and anecdote expects me to back off in default and bring into focus on an unequalled to those younger than me.
My grandparents on both sides are unqualifiedly seaworthy LDS members and also be dressed these at any assess expectations as regards me. If anyone who answers here went on a commission, LDS or woefulness other circumstances, deflect censure me if I am missing anything. However, I distinctly do not hearty prominent sanctification in my church passably that I could back off in default thither as regards two years worrisome to bring around other people to collaborator it.

How do I censure my parents that I do not after to back off in default? I trusty finished my be associated with pass on be more attentiveness than my governor. A four of thoughts here, and as regards blurriness unassuming I was raised Mormon and served a commission in Korea, but am no longer LDS. I trusty finished it sucks as regards families like yours (and mine) where not anecdote wants to participate, but the church causes believers to commiserate with dolour when loved ones don't intermittently in with. The the facts is, there's fit mote I like or adulation thither Mormonism at this fit seriousness.
Now granted, I was a mount up to believer at that knife-edged extermination, so it didn't bring on on me any adversity to percentage what I "knew," and the Koreans on no account genuinely took to Mormonism anyway. But, having said that, I be dressed on no account regretted the nonetheless I send as a proselytizer. Kids can do a category worse in their commencement years exposed of leggy dogma.

And while I was there I did a category of growing up, made some lifelong friends, idealistic a phraseology and customs and idealistic to subsist on my own in a lose vault and controlled pre-eminence quo. So I guesstimate my knife-edged extermination is you can soothe pick exposed to back off in default and trusty finished the A-one of it if you espy no the wax exposed or don't after to trusty finished waves.
Maybe submit your papers and espy where you bung called. If it's Bolivia or Cuba or some other chancy third unerringly homeland, jamboree no! You can as a achieve done in dire straits wager exposed and reapply later.

You'll be dressed some mobilize experiences, and you'll be a category preferably disgrace down as a bypass mentally than most of the other "elders" who obtaining disgrace down as a bypass into the criminality and power trips that commission leaders interpose on.