Monday, July 10, 2006

What tribe are you from? Restoration of the 12 tribes —ElGuapo

OK, so I know everyone is from Ephraim. But once in a while you hear of someone having a different lineage in their patriarchal blessing. You get some Manasseh, some Benjamin. On my mission in Korea a companion once told me (who knows where he heard this) that Korean members' blessings generally say they're from the tribe of Dan.

Well, I was just gonna ask the question, but then for kicks I went ahead and set up a Frappr map. If you've never used that site before, it's just an online map where you can mark your location. You do not have to give out any IRL information (just use your FAIR username as your name there). You will have to enter a real email address, but you could use a throw-away address. That's just for registration, the address isn't viewable publicly.

Let's see if we get any non-Ephraimites. But please, Ephraim, stand up and be counted. (And please, everyone, don't ruin the fun by pretending to be from Issachar or something.)

12 Tribes map

Guap

* * *

All Ephraim so far it looks like. By the way, I forgot to mention that location info is only viewable to others at the zip code level, even if you pinpoint your actual address.

And "Guapititos?" What's that about?

QUOTE (Doctor Steuss @ Jul 10 2006, 12:58 PM)
ElGuapo,
This site has a couple of stories about different people, their ancestry, and their tribe. If you find it trustworthy, you could probably plug in a couple of the different tribe stories and where the people are from:

Beyond Arsareth: The Twelve Tribes of Israel Today

Interesting reading, Doctor Steuss, thanks. Sounds like some lineage declarations are not so clear--"tribe of Joseph," "lineage of Abraham," "mostly Asher."

QUOTE (Tarski @ Jul 10 2006, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Antley @ Jul 10 2006, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Tarski @ Jul 10 2006, 02:38 PM)
Given how populations interbreed and how many g-g-g-g-g-g- great grandparents we each have, I don't see how this being from a particular tribe thing can even make any real literal sense.

To the extent that the ideas surrounding the so called Tribes of Israel are actual, I would say I likely have ancestors in every single tribe and so do you all.

I think most LDS are well aware of that.

Ten to one odds that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were not aware of it.

QUOTE (Number 9 @ Jul 10 2006, 03:21 PM)
To confirm your Korea/Dan theory - my niece is Korean, and she is from Dan.

That's great, Number 9. Did you also notice in the link Doctor Steuss provided they mention full-blooded Irish members tend to be from Dan as well?

QUOTE
(sailgirl7 @ Jul 10 2006, 07:31 PM)
I'm part Korean and I'm from Ephraim- same as my Dad and full Korean Grandma.

No comments: